We are strong. We are united. We are #NotAshamed!
“Shame is the biggest obstacle facing young people with mental health disabilities.” -Eve Hill, Chair, Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law
Spread the message that we are #NotAshamed to be living with a mental health disability. You have the ability to take the power away from centuries old stigma and misconceptions about mental health disability. Promote truth about mental health. Spread awareness that mental fitness matters to everyone, as a component of overall wellness, just like nutrition and physical fitness.
The time is now to make a stand. People should not be held down, dismissed, bullied, or belittled because of a mental health disability. Join us in our mission to replace fear with knowledge, hate with understanding, and shame with pride.
Stand Against Mental Health Stigma and Submit a #NotAshamed Video Today!
Submit a video as a person living with a mental health disability.
Update the sample script to say: My name is _________ [insert name]. I am ____________ [insert profession or grade if a student]. Mental health awareness matters to me because ________________________ [insert reason why you believe the #NotAshamed campaign is important]. I am a person living with a mental health disability. I am #NotAshamed.
Submit a video as an ally.
Update sample script to say: My name is _________ [insert name]. I am ___________ [insert profession or grade if a student]. I support the #NotAshamed campaign because __________ [insert reason for supporting]. #NotAshamed.
Submit videos to email@example.com. We accept standard video file format such as mp4, mov, avi, or wmv.
#NOTASHAMED VIDEO MAKING TIPS
- Place your phone on a stable surface in landscape mode. Do not record the video in selfie mode.
- Use a mobile phone stand, lean it against something, or have a friend help to keep the camera steady.
- Record in a quiet space, with no echo effects.
- Protect your privacy. Ensure the space where you record the video does not contain you do not wish the social media community to see.
- Ensure the space is well lit.
- Share on social media with the tag #NotAshamed.
Additional ways to support the #NotAshamed Campaign
Enroll for Bender Leadership Academy programming.
- Programming is available for youth with disabilities.
Apply to become a volunteer speaker.
- Guest speaker topics include mental health, disability advocacy, mental wellness, career readiness, civic engagement, and leadership.
Become a funder.
- Empower youth with disabilities by funding the Bender Leadership Academy’s programs and scholarships.
Become a community partner.
- Apply to host the Bender Leadership Academy’s work-readiness and certification programs. Partnerships are available for business owners and educational institutions.
Become a mentor.
- Mentor youth with disabilities between the ages of 11 and 17.